Saturday, January 17, 2009

Results & Dewisdomizing

Two things to talk about this week.

First, election results. In last Friday's post I told you about our special election here in Alexandria's 46th State House district. I eventually decided that I would not write my own name in, but that I would vote for Joe.

A special election is one that nobody shows up for because they don't know about it. In fact, when I went to vote, there was just one person voting when I walked in, and I got all checked in, voted, and left. The 5 poll workers all thanked me by name and I went on my way. I voted about an hour and 45 minutes after the poll opened...and was voter #23 at my precinct.

Anyway, back to Joe. A Republican in a heavily Democratic district (no Republican has represented Alexandria since 1995 - I think that includes the local level), Joe almost squeaked out a win. At the moment, they're counting absentee ballots and will initiate a recount, because when the polls closed, Joe was down by a mere 17 votes.

Our votes count, especially when less than 3,000 people vote out of a district of 45,000 registered voters.

Next, I'm now lacking in wisdom...teeth. Yep, yesterday morning I went under the knife and had all 4 removed. Pain is subsiding but I wish the swelling was following suit...I look like a chipmunk and wish I could eat some solid food. But, Rachel's been keeping a good supply of Wendy's Frostys coming so it sorta makes up for it. :-) I was debating not posting but Jenny was confident I could produce something coherent. Looks like she was right!
-Kal

2 comments:

Jennifer Powell said...

Very proud of you man! You'll be less chipmunky soon - just keep the ice going a bit more and life will be good. Ask Rachel about the socks when I had mine out. I'm sure she will shutter at the thought.

Anonymous said...

Your election circumstances are unusual, but not unprecedented. I offer you a description of the election process of the Virginia House of Burgesses circa 1750:

"The election itself was a kind of spectator sport In good weather it was held in the open air on the courthouse lawn. There were no paper ballots. Voting was anything but secret. At the table sat the sheriff, with the candidates, who were expected to be present, and the clerks to count the votes. Each voter came up and announced his choice aloud. Then his vote was recorded on a scoreboard for all to see. As each voter declared his preference, shouts of approval went up from one side and good-natured hoots from the others. The betting odds changed, and new wagers were laid. When a candidate received a vote he would rise, bow, and personally thank the voter: 'Mr. Buchanan, I shall treasure that vote in my memory. It will be regarded as a feather in my cap forever'." (Boorstin, Landmark History of the American People vol.1 pg 37-8.)

Post a Comment