Saturday, January 31, 2009

My Week as a "Single" Dad

This past week I spent as a "single dad." Rachel had to go to Houston for work. It was her first business travel since she went back to work after Kam was born. I hadn't been looking forward to it because while I generally get him around in the morning and I have spent days watching Kam myself, even putting him to bed (something Rachel generally does), I hadn't done the whole package...and I hadn't done it for 4 and a half days straight.

During that time I:

  • Put over 400 miles on the new car (good thing it's a Hybrid, right Al Gore?)
  • Left work early every day by at least a half hour
  • Prepared 9 bottles
  • Changed a few more diapers than usual each day
  • Watched 7 episodes of Stargate Atlantis on DVD (No TV competition)
  • Ordered a Pepperoni, Bacon, and Extra Cheese Pizza
And I got to spend a lot of time with Kam. We played cars, and played with blocks, we read a few books, we watched a little TV, and we enjoyed some goldfish crackers together. We spent a lot of time in the car, but we had fun. The best part, though was when I picked him up at Day Care on Thursday, Ms. Fauzia had taught him to say "Dah-dee", and he proceded to say it over and over all evening, and it was extremely cute.

I realized that it wasn't as daunting a task as I thought originally - facing each day "alone." We get to do it over again in a couple weeks, but for now Kam and I both agree that it's great to have mom home. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment