Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Ubuntu "Feisty Fawn"

Do you like free stuff? I do, especially in the form of full-featured operating systems! Ubuntu 7.04 (codenamed "Feisty Fawn") is being released on Thursday, April 19th. Available in a "LiveCD" format, you can try it on your current computer without actually installing it.

Don't misunderstand, this is a complete operating system - a replacement for even Windows, some may say. It has an office suite (OpenOffice.org), a web browser (Firefox), chat client (Gaim), photo management (F-Spot), image editor (the GIMP), and many other programs available -- for free -- along with it. Just download the .iso and burn it to a CD and reboot your machine to try it.

Visit the Ubuntu website for the details. And especially for Ryan, if he's still using that hunk of junk Windows 95 machine, check out Xubuntu - engineered to run on older machines. So resurrect your old computer into something usable with Xubuntu, Ubuntu, or Kubuntu (my flavor of the week) on Thursday. Let me know how it turns out.

-Kal

5 comments:

Rich Rudowske said...

17APR07 - Paid taxes today ($1800+). Considered drinking heavily - but got tickets to Dayton Dragons baseball game instead - took three youngest. It was fun.

Had Korma simmered chicken over basmati rice (it's and Indian dish - not Indian like cowboys and indians or cleveland indians but india like Gandhi etc.) The kids really liked it too.

Anonymous said...

Ok, first of all, my recently decommissioned E-machine was running Windows 98, not 95. Secondly, I take a certain amount of perverse pride in that my E-machine lasted the better part of seven years, despite being listed as the 8th worst PC ever. Check out the link here:

http://tech.msn.com/products/articlepcw.aspx?cp-documentid=4594343&page=1

(Hmmm, sorry Kal, you do not seem to have links enabled. Well, you can always edit this post to clean it up if you desire).

So, here's what I'm wondering, though. As I am on the cusp of purchasing a new computer, would it be totally insane of me to skip Vista altogether and just use Ubuntu? Those Apple commercials have taken a toll on my confidence in Microsoft. Plus, I'd save a lot of money. Thoughts?

(Also, I'm publishing this annonymously because right now blogger will not recognize my password).

Rich Rudowske said...

20APR07 - I posted a new post today and Kal did not. Speaking of Feisty Fawn, I had venison chops for dinner.

Ok, not really, but you have to admit that was funny.

Peace out.

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon "Kal in Space" and I am laughing right now at the thought of Kal floating around in space. That is all I can visualize and it is just really funny to me. Kind of like Kal's visualization of Starbucks. That still makes me laugh too. Peace out, Napolean.

Kim

Kal said...

Ryan - the answer to your question is a profound "maybe." I'll write a post soon describing my own Ubuntu use.

Kim - it's like from the preview of History of the World: Part II (that appears at the end of Part I). You know, "Jews in Space"? ...Except I'm not Jewish.

Post a Comment